La PÉrouse Expedition
In 2009 the Foundation took a team of divers down to the Santa Cruz Islands in the remote South Eastern Temoto province of the Solomon Islands to dive on the wrecks of the two ships belonging to the expedition under the command of the famous French Explorer, Comte de la Perouse. These ships, La Boussole and L’Astrolabe, were lost in 1788 after the expedition had sailed from Botany Bay where they had arrived just days after the arrival of the First Fleet in January 1788.
The wrecks remained undiscovered for some 38 years until an Irish American trader, Peter Dillon, found the wreck site and recovered a number of artefacts in 1826.
Although the wreck site has been dived upon many times the visit was a great success with numerous traces of the two vessels still remaining on the bottom in crystal clear water.